Anger, DIY, Forgiveness, Forgiveness Ceremony, Forgiveness Process, Happiness, Healthy Mind, Letter Writing, Mental health, Pain, Peace, Peace Through Forgiveness, Reclaim The Space In Your Head, Reclaim Your Thoughts, resentment, Sadness
It may be time to reclaim the space in your head taken up by thoughts of people who have hurt you. How often do you think about someone you resent? If you are harboring anger and resentment towards someone it may be time to clear out those thoughts.
Forgive others not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace. It’s not about them. It’s not about forgetting what they have done. It’s not about agreeing with them. It’s about you coming to terms with what happened, letting it go, and reclaiming the space they take up in your head.
The following is a process that you can do privately or with support of a trusted friend or mental health professional. This process does not include any interaction with the person you have resentment towards.
1. Decide that you want peace around this person or event.
2. Write down all of the hurtful things you experienced.
3. Write (but don’t send) a letter to the person expressing your feelings of anger, resentment, hurt, pain, sadness, etc.
4. Next, write to the person what you needed and didn’t get, how you would have liked it to be.
5. Look over all of your writings. Fully experience what ever feelings come up.
6. When you are ready, declare your forgiveness. If you desire, you can symbolize your forgiveness by safely burning your writings, shredding them or burying them.
Love, Health & Happiness,